||Director of Compliance & Security/Legal Assistant
||Purpose of Position: The purpose of the position is to continue to develop, implement, revise and oversee Word & Brown compliance programs, the standards and framework of the information security program and assist the General Counsel with related legal matters including, legal research, legal drafting and contract review. The Director of Compliance & Security / Legal Assistant serves as the focal point for all compliance and security activities. Primary responsibilities include maintaining and expanding visibility for the corporate compliance program at all levels within the company; implementing compliance initiatives which match the health care regulatory environment; and evaluating company processes for compliance impact. Additionally this position is responsible for The Word & Brown Companies’ information security policies and the coordination of information security strategy and vision. This position has the responsibility for maintaining a compliance and information security-conscious culture and infrastructure for the Word & Brown Companies while also assisting with the workload and the high standards required by the corporate legal department.
Essential Functions: Compliance & Security
• Maintain a system that fosters appropriate, demonstrable, and coordinated
compliance and security policies, procedures, and practices designed to promote c compliance with the requirements of HIPAA/HITECH and other pertinent Federal and State standards
• Lead efforts to maintain the organization’s HITRUST Certification
• Maintain, revise and extend as appropriate the organization’s HIPAA compliance and security policies
• Assist with development of educational and training programs to ensure that all appropriate employees are knowledgeable of and comply compliance and security standards
• Periodically revise the program in light of changes in the organization's needs and in the law
• Independently investigate and act on matters related to compliance and security. Maintain and extend as appropriate the current system of Incident Reporting. Serve as the focal point for Incident Investigation. Extend policies and programs that encourage managers and employees to report suspected improper disclosures, breaches and other improprieties without fear of retaliation
• Identify and advise on areas of risk for the Word & Brown Companies
• Collaborate with the General Counsel, Information Technology and business management to effectively incorporate the compliance and security programs into the routine activities of The Word & Brown Companies.
• Assist with the maintenance and grow the maturity of existing Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Plans.
• Serve as the HIPAA Security Privacy Director as required in the HIPAA Security Regulations.
• Keep legal requests organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into current database as needed.
• Assist in ongoing initiative including without limitation: Intellectual Property,
Copyright and Bankruptcy.
• Review and draft legal documents as needed.
• Conduct and assist with legal research as needed.
• Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and
different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
• Back-up Paralegal Supervisor duties.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
||Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required: Understanding of compliance and security issues. Background dealing with HIPAA regulations and incident management in a Financial Services context. Strong organizational and analytical skills. Ability to work well both independently and with others in a matrix environment. Strong legal background including law school education. High integrity; excellent judgment. Strong influencing skills and perseverance in investigating. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, and legal documents. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to write clear, concise reports, business correspondence, and procedures. Ability to effectively present and represent the company’s interests externally. Ability to initiate administrative activities as necessary, and institute quality control procedures. Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changes in company policies, procedures, and priorities.
Educational Requirements: Security degree and strong relevant background in compliance coupled with a law degree and related background.
Physical Requirements: Requires close vision and must have good hand to eye coordination. Must be able to see, hear and speak clearly. Must be able to use a computer keyboard. May be required to lift up to 40 pounds. Working environment is stable and noise level is moderate.
||Send This Job to a Friend