Satellite Healthcare is a successful, nonprofit organization that has improved the lives of people living with kidney disease since 1973. We earn our national reputation for excellent patient care each day by offering a complete range of dialysis therapy
choices, personalized clinical services, and unparalleled wellness education.
Satellite Healthcare provides expert, personalized kidney care at over 80 centers across the U.S. as well as at acute dialysis locations in California and Texas. Learn more about Satellite Healthcare at
The Renal Dietitian is responsible for developing knowledge and understanding of
nephrology nutrition principles through assessing the nutritional needs of each patient, recommending therapeutic diets, counseling patients and their families on prescribed diets, monitoring adherence and response to diet, and following MD approved protocols.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned. All employees must work in accordance with Satellite’s I-CARE Standards.
• Evaluates patient's nutrition needs/status using medical records (lab values, H&P, etc.), anthropometrics and intake records to develop a diet prescription and nutrition instruction plan. Establish nutritional priorities and develop a team action plan
in conjunction with RN, MD, MSW, and patient. Utilizes SPIN to perform all nutrition assessments and documentation.
• Interviews patients and obtains a comprehensive diet history to determine patient's nutrition knowledge and understanding
• Instructs patient/family/care provider as appropriate on recommended nutrition/ dietary modification using an individualized approach
• Assists patient/family to obtain and use community resources/services to meet their nutritional needs
• Develops nutrition prescription through SPIN and implements diet orders
• Provides ongoing nutrition assessment of patients. Modifies nutrition goals/ dietary recommendations as needed on a regular basis per Satellite policy
• Carries out MD standing orders and protocols
• Maintains nutrition information in SPIN
• Acknowledges and responds to patients' needs promptly and appropriately
• Communicates nutrition information/status to other treatment providers to ensure ongoing nutrition care when patients transfer to another facility/modality or require concurrent care/evaluation from outside agencies, hospitals, clinics, etc.
• Participates as a team player who contributes to harmonious and constructive working relationships with all staff members to promote a positive and productive atmosphere. Offers information, advice, and assistance to all unit staff members
• Communicates significant information to appropriate team members
• Documents in a clear, concise, and accurate manner
• Uses Satellite's communication techniques:
o Greets patients by name
o Speaks English only in patient care area unless translating
o Listens to understand, not judge
o Focuses on the message being delivered
o Uses reflective listening
o Positively acknowledges the patient for sharing thoughts/feelings
o Manages conflict in a positive way
o Allows patients to express feelings and concerns appropriately
o Acknowledges problems/situations from the patient's point of view
o Apologizes when appropriate (without assigning or implying any blame)
• Reviews literature and/or utilizes appropriate educational resources (e.g. workshops, conferences,CRN meetings, etc.) to update knowledge and develop skills according to Satellite policy and approved by NSM and CM
• Attends mandatory quarterly dietitian meetings (geographically distant dietitians may participate via online meeting resources)
• Attends professional conferences as requested
• Demonstrates willingness to help patients
• Participates in staff meetings, patient review sessions, continuing education programs, staff meetings and RD quarterly meetings
• Participates in home visits with the Interdisciplinary Team as requested
• Follows all Satellite policies and procedures including infection control and "Standards of Conduct" (I.e. dress code, professionalism)
• Participates in CPR as needed
• Maintains confidentiality of patient information
• Participates in self and/or peer evaluations
• Performs other duties as assigned
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Education: Registered Dietitian (Includes Baccalaureate or Advanced degree in nutrition and/or dietetics)
Experience: 1 year post-internship experience in clinical nutrition (2 years preferred)
License/Certification: CPR certification (within 3 months of hire); Specialty Certification in Renal Nutrition (CSR), as eligible
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and satisfactorily communicate in English with others in person, over the phone, and electronically
||Send This Job to a Friend