Group Business Segments
Browse Open Jobs
Search Open Jobs
Edit Your Profile
View Submitted Applications
Lead Flexo Print Operator
To setup, operate, adjust and monitor Printing Press equipment to run safely and achieve prescribed quality and productivity standards. Able to provide technical support to optimize the Flexographic Printing processes and procedures to positively impact Safety, Quality and Productivity metrics along with Employee Morale. Maintains cleanliness of the Printing Press Equipment and ensures all safety procedures are followed and that the entire printing area meets GMP and Huhtamaki requirements. This position will function within the scope of all company policies, procedures and guidelines. The individual must possess strong interpersonal skills in order to support their shift, along with the overall 24/7 Printing department, and be actively engaged in doing what is necessary, within plant policies, procedure and guidelines, to ensure the shift and the overall department is successful.
Observes all safety and company policies and participates in company safety programs. Helps check and ensure that all safety guards, switches, interlocks etc. are in place and functional.
2. Acts a safety leader by complying with all safety rules, policies, regulations and procedures, and participating in safety programs, immediately reporting any identified safety abnormalities/issues and encouraging employee involvement in all safety activities.
3. Performs changeovers/setups on printing equipment following established tasks and performs all quality checks on critical customer requirements prior to beginning production.
4. Ensures good print quality by maintaining proper color levels to standards visually and with Xrite iControl software and spectrophotometers. Reviews press retains (samples) after each roll for print defects and addresses defects immediately. Follows the quality hold procedure for all non-conforming materials.
5. Manages inks effectively by measuring pH and viscosity (viscosity is done manually using a #2 Zahn cup and a stop watch as well as using viscometer).
6. Communicates and works effectively with onsite ink vendor as necessary.
7. Follows and meets production schedules for customer orders. Completes all required tasks in Transition Works (TWS) and ensures that rolls of paper are issued/accounted for inventory purposes for each job.
8. Accurately records/reports/documents waste %, uptime, downtime, and changeover time, and knows how to print labels for printed rolls, move roll inventory into storage locations, and report production for the job accurately, completely and in a timely manner.
9. Able to perform a cold startup, web the press, and help perform preventive maintenance type tasks.
10. Able to manage the press and personnel, teach and lead others, trouble shoot all printing and peripheral equipment and perform roll on-loading and off-loading. Understands the relationship between plate mounting and its affect on the job as it prints.
11. Able to properly handle sleeves, bridges and anilox rolls, including maintaining anilox roll cleanliness using the Sanilox cleaning system.
12. Able to effectively communicate within the shift and from shift-to-shift. Works with and through others to accomplish required tasks. Also able to communicate concerns and ideas effectively to management.
13. Strictly follows all AIB, GMP audit guidelines and maintains cleanliness of the equipment and area.
14. Able to identify the root-cause of quality issues and identify solutions to prevent recurrence.
15. Troubleshoots and provides technical assistance to the flexographic presses, and identifies and resolves daily production problems, engaging production personnel in corrective actions (not including disciplinary action)
16. Works collaboratively with all functional departments inside the plant. Assists product development efforts (including customer print approvals, line trials etc.) and helps with the planning and running of line trials of new products and materials.
17. Works to achieve Department goals and leads/participates on Continuous Improvement projects and helps ensure gains/improvements are sustained in EHS, Quality and Productivity.
18. Identifies opportunities and determines process capabilities through the use of disciplined problem solving/analytical/statistical methods.
19. Engages and assists Printing personnel daily by establishing and maintaining visual management tools.
20. Can help and assist with planning and implementing equipment repairs and improvements, coordinating major equipment downtime with Planning and Maintenance & Engineering departments.
21. Can help assess press operator skill levels and prepare/present technical training. Prioritizes training activities. Routinely audits Print Press related standard work to ensure compliance and to identify opportunities for improvement.
22. Meets regularly with department manager and can help provide input/insight to help with upcoming strategic priorities and coordinate progress.
23. All other duties as assigned by management.
Incumbent works in a manufacturing environment. Individual will a set 12 hour shift schedule (which includes weekends), and overtime as needed to meet business needs. Requires prolonged standing (75%) with occasional walking (25%). Individual will use various tools, including, but not limited to, Sanilox cleaning equipment, roll pushers, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, needle nose pliers and soft hammer. Requires twisting, bending/stooping, squatting/kneeling and climbing ladders. Incumbent will lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a regular basis and lift/carry more than 50 pounds occasionally. Requires reaching above, at and below shoulders.
1. Educational background normally acquired through the completion of high school level programs leading to a diploma or GED or equivalent work experience preferred.
2. At least 5 years with direct, hand-on operating experience in Flexographic Printing and relevant computer-based software (Excel, Word, Vision Systems, Xrite etc.)
3. Must have good color perception and the ability to see, read, and distinguish letters and/or symbols.
4. Self-motivated, works with a sense of urgency and purpose, able to multi-task and function independently as well as in a team setting, well-organized and detail oriented.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, adapt to change and support/lead department projects.
6. Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team-based setting.
7. Effective communicator [oral, written, etc.] with all levels of employees.
8. Previous experience with Process Improvement Methodologies, including Lean/Six Sigma, preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
This organization participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is a service that verifies authorization to work in the U.S. through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of Social Security (SSA). To learn more about E-Verify, please visit
Send This Job to a Friend