||PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR - SKOKIE, IL.
||Meets with patients to ensure the maximum payment for services rendered is received in a timely manner by collecting payments at the time of admission or discharge and making payment arrangements. Conducts financial interviews, counsels patients and assists
with the completion of applications to access other funding sources. Works collaboratively with internal and external customers to gather and exchange sensitive and confidential information.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following duties and responsibilities are all essential job functions, except for those that begin with the word "May.")
1. Meets with patients to explain charges related to treatment services, answer billing questions, and assist with the financial resolution of accounts and collect payments.
2. Advises and counsels patients on their rights, responsibilities and Gateway’s policies and procedures with regards to payment for services rendered.
3. Monitors charges and identifies patient financial responsibility. May assist patients with limited resources with the completion of applications to access other funding sources, such as Medicaid eligibility referrals and charity applications.
4. Participates in patient discharge conferences to discuss remaining financial responsibilities and resolution of accounts.
5. Works collaboratively with the Business Office and the Accounts Receivable department to determine appropriate financial resolutions and identify patient charges that may require additional third party contact and notification. May provide relevant parties
with cost estimates and anticipates charges to monitor cost of care.
6. Participates in meetings to provide relevant information concerning procedures, updated policies, and changes. Serves as the liaison between the assigned treatment center, other centers and the corporate office and by gathering and exchanging information
related to patient accounts and insurance information.
7. Participates in process improvements by developing procedures, planning and implementing operational changes, and ensuring compliance with existing policies and procedures.
8. Keeps current with applicable laws and regulations and maintains an understanding of third party insurance, financial counseling techniques and collection procedures.
||1. Ability to read and write well enough to draft, proof and edit correspondences, reports, tables and the like; and perform arithmetic and statistical calculations to prepare and verify summary reports and financial transactions; at a level normally acquired
through completion of high school and relevant training.
2. Knowledge of health insurance terminology, coding and billing requirements, insurance contracts and claim adjudication, in order to understand the billing procedures and communicate with insurance providers and patients. Necessary ability and knowledge normally
acquired through three years of experience working in a hospital or healthcare provider’s business office or an accounts receivable department.
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills necessary to gather and exchange data regarding billing and insurance information with patients and internal and external customers, as well as prepare written reports supervisors and managers, and insurance
4. Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with a diverse group of individuals, counsel patients on financial resolutions, and tactfully collect payments and make payment arrangements.
5. Analytical abilities necessary to check and verify account and billing information, investigate and reconcile discrepancies in totals and payments received, calculate bill breakdowns and percentages, and evaluate and recommend process improvements as needed.
6. Adheres to confidentiality standards when handling patient treatment and financial information, according to the HIPAA Privacy Act, and Gateway policies and procedures regarding confidentiality, and all applicable regulatory and accreditation standards.
***Shifts: Monday-Friday 10am-6:30pm ***
||Send This Job to a Friend